29 January 2012

Pin It #2

Found this one on Pinterest. I typed in polenta (which is a fancy word for grits), and chose this one a) because we had all the ingredients, and b) because the hubs was on baby duty and couldn't object to my dinner choice being 1) vegetarian and 2) made with grits... I mean corn meal, er, um, polenta << I learned early on that the hubs 'doesn't like grits,' but I always suspected that he just hadn't tried any that were prepared well >>.

In the end, I did make a few changes. Instead of regular diced tomatoes I used diced tommy's with jalapenos (kick!). Although it doesn't specify red salsa, I used green (it's what we had). In the polenta itself I added a little bit of crushed red pepper. To go with dinner I whipped up some guac, and I sauteed the hubs two chicken sausages to go on top of his << I'm not a fan of the chicken sausage, and I wanted to go vegetarian tonight anyway >>.

This one's a modified keeper, and it would be great for a family where one person is vegetarian and the other is a carnivore-- as in, easy peasy to cook the meat apart and add it at the end. Here's a pic of what ours ended up looking like, right before we devoured it.
Left, with meat. Right, without.
Here's the modified recipe, originally found here.

Polenta and Black Beans

Makes 4 servings
Time Required: 20 minutes

ingredients
  • 3
    cups water
  • 1
    cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1
    cup water
  • 1/2
    teaspoon salt
  • 1
    15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1
    14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained <-- I used diced tomatoes with jalepenos
  • 1
    cup bottled salsa with cilantro or other salsa <-- I used green salsa here
       3/4
       cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (3 oz.)
1 tsp      Crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp  Garlic powder
1 tsp      Pampered Chef's Chipotle rub

directions
1.For Polenta*: In a large saucepan bring the 3 cups water to boiling. In a 
medium bowl combine cornmeal, the 1 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir cornmeal mixture slowly into the boiling water. <-- Here I added 1 tsp of crushed red pepper, 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, and 1 tsp of Pampered Chef's Chipotle rub. Cook and stir until mixture comes to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. (If mixture is too thick, stir in additional water.) <-- I left mine on the stove more like 20 minutes
2.Meanwhile, in a large skillet combine the beans, undrained tomatoes, and
salsa. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir 1/2 cup of the cheese into the polenta. Divide polenta among 4 shallow bowls. Top with the bean mixture and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Makes 4 servings.
3.In a small pan I cooked 2 chicken sausage links (for the hubs to add to 
his dish- one for dinner and the other for his leftovers). 

No comments:

Post a Comment