01 November 2012

The Birthday Pal-alace EATS

My son turned 1, and if we're tee-totally honest, I've been planning this party for, oh, the last 12 months. I realized early on that in choosing a theme, for a kid birthday party, this year is possibly the only one that Papa and I get to choose. I say "Papa & I" to be congenial. Everyone knows I chose the theme and he got on board. Party planning is not the hubs' passion. But it is mine!

Dr. Seuss won over all other possible party themes. This will be a series of posts showing you how his  party came together.

The EATS:

I planned the food to be both kid-friendly and to the tune of All Things Seuss.
Starting out is the Green Eggs & Ham spread.

The makings of Green Eggs and Ham:
M&M's (only the yellow ones), pretzel sticks,
and green candy melts

Start by placing the pretzel rods in pairs on an ungreased cookie sheet,
then add 2 of the 'eggs', i.e. green candy melts to each pair.
Place in a 350 degree oven for 1 - 3 minutes, until the melts start to
shine. Remove from oven and place a yellow 'yolk' M-side down
in the center of the 'egg.' Let cool, and voila!
Green Eggs and Ham... er, bacon?

What Dr. Seuss party could be
complete without Green Eggs & Ham?

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish Inspiration included a bowl of fish:
Blue Jell-O, Swedish Fish, and a fish bowl (below) and voila! I
made the jello according to package directions (it took 2
packages to fill my fish bowl), and when it was semi-cold jell-o
texture, I dunked the fishies! In hindsight, I wish the blue
jell-o hadn't been so dark, or that the fishies had been a little
brighter. But hey, it worked!

One Fish, Two Fish, Lots of Gold Fish!
Inspiration from The Lorax:
Truffula Fruits!
Inspiration from Apples Up on Top:
Sliced apples with a little lemon juice squeezed
on them, and voila! Not-brown-apples!
Hop on Pop "Corn":



We also had some other EATS, but since they didn't really fall under the Seuss umbrella I used matchy matchy food labels helped tie it all together.


The makings of empanadas.

The finished empanadas.

Un-iced cupcakes for the kidlets.

Ants on a Log <-- always a hit with kids and adults!



Thing 1 and Thing 2's HAIR inspired the cupcake toppers, which the kids loved. I decided to go with a whole wheat pumpkin bread recipe that made yummy cupcakes. Recipe here.

The birthday boy in all his sweet birthday glory.

The adults also had cake, made by the birthday boy's godmother.
Lucky adults!

No comments:

Post a Comment